Sunday, July 17, 2011

Honey Ginger BBQ Pork

My good friend Damon came into work the other day bragging about some phenomenal ribs he made with a Honey Ginger BBQ Recipe that he stumbled upon.  Not to be out done, I wanted to give this recipe a try too.   Unfortunately, I happened to be out of ribs this weekend, but lurking in the back of our freezer was a nice pork tenderloin that we had been saving for a rainy day - I thought "what the heck" and gave it a shot.
Here's what I used...Damon's initial recipe was double amounts shown to accommodate his ribs, I needed less for the tenderloin

Honey Ginger BBQ Sauce:

1 - 2lb pork tenderloin
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup honey
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root


Glaze:
2/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
Mix the ingredients of the Honey Ginger BBQ Sauce together until well blended.  Place the tenderloin in a 1 gallon freezer bag and cover with the sauce, let sit for 2 - 24 hours.  The longer it sits, the better the flavor.
I waited to make the glaze until right before I put the pork on the fire.  I mixed all the ingredients into a small plastic bowl and set aside until I was ready for it.
Seeing as pork tenderloin is very lean, I like to cook it over an indirect heat.  Simply place your coals on one side of the grill and keep the tenderloin on the opposite side.  Cover it up for about 15 min, and flip it over. 
About 30 min in, I added the corn on the cob we had with our meal.  The corn sat in a nice vat of sugar water for about 2 hours.  I placed the corn directly over the coals, the heat from the coals steams the corn from within the husk.
After another 15 minutes, I gave the tenderloin a nice coating of the glaze on both side and flipped the corn over.
I moved the tenderloin directly over the coals to help brown it up and bring it to temp.  Pork needs to be at least 170 degrees.
We cut the pork up into thin slices and enjoyed it with our buttered corn.  A perfect meal for a nice summer night.

Thanks again to Damon for recipe, this was well enjoyed by my wife and myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment